Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Good News

I got a post radiation/chemotherapy MRI on Monday and today I went to the oncologist to see where we are with the remaining 20% of the tumor that was left from the surgery.

It's really good news. There is no visible tumor, and the cavity where the tumor was has significantly shrunk. This is a result of the latest combo treatment of radiation and temador which is the newest drug that can cross the brain barrier.

There is still the likelihood of microscopic traces of cancer and the statistical probability of re-occurrence is still very high with grade 4 cancer. However, the oncologist reminds me that I am not a statistic, and that the preliminary results place me in the best end of the statistical bell curve.

So, starting this week I will be going back on the chemo therapy on a month by month basis with a three month MRI schedule to watch for and signs of the cancer returning.

There are new therapies like the cyber-knife and 150 different chemo combos which will await and return of the cancer.

We feel very fortunate to know that the treatment so far has been as successful as the trials had suggested it might be.

I'll still be facing fatigue problems with the new chemo treatment which is five times more powerful than what I was on earlier. I handled the previous treatment very well, and I hope that will be the case going forward. Thank-you for all the prayers in our behalf. They really make a difference.

3 comments:

The Bradley Family said...

How exciting! I hope this is a sign of great things to come! What a blessing! you are always in our prayers

PhishTako said...

That is great news Dan. We are very happy for you. You will continue to be in our prayers.

- Jay Wootton & family

Danielle said...

When you called to tell me the results of your MRI, I could tell by your voice that it was good news! We have been hopeful but nervous and hearing the news brought a lot of joy! Prayers are answered and I am so thankful that with God's will and everyone's faith that you are looking so good. Love you tonz!